Radical Plastics looking for a Business Development Manager
December 20, 2020
Plastic is one of the most important inventions of the last century. Plastics are strong, lightweight, cost-effective materials that have transformed our lives. Globally there is over 380 million tons of plastic produced each year and only 4% is recycled.
Every living creature on this planet is affected by plastic waste. Each year there is enough plastic in just the oceans to cover Australia in cling film. We all see and feel the effects of the millions of tons of plastic waste per year. The plastic is threatening our food supply, choking wildlife, and degrading human health.
Radical Plastics has developed a solution to eliminate plastic waste. Acclaimed plastic industry veterans Dr. Yelena Kann and Kristin Taylor developed a patented technology that involves blending conventional plastics with proprietary, naturally occurring compounds. The resulting Radical Plastics biodegrade fully in the environment leaving no residue, no toxic substances and no microplastics.
Plastic is omnipresent on farms. It is used to wrap silage, to cover crops, in tubing for irrigation, and to transport feed and fertilizer. The total U.S. agricultural plastics generation is estimated to be 816 million pounds. Of the total 816 million pounds, 126 million pounds is estimated to be horticultural film plastic. The options for farmers to recycle used plastics is limited because of soil contamination.
Radical Plastics initial product offering is Ag Film. After each growing season the product simply is tilled into the soil and the plastic will biodegrade.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to transform the plastics industry. You will be joining a powerful, diverse team committed to making a meaningful contribution in the battle against plastic pollution. You will be critical to our commercialization and growth strategy as we launch patented, biodegradable plastics.
We seek an accomplished Business Development Leader who has overachieved throughout their career and built strong, deep relationships with growers and food brands. The role will require working with the overall Agriculture ecosystem to help secure lighthouse customers, develop strategic partnerships, establish revenue, and build a pipeline of opportunities.
Identify, prioritize and execute business development agreements, including supply agreements, funded R&D projects, joint development, sales and licensing agreements
● Create and manage a robust pipeline of opportunities to facilitate growth and technology adoption
● Work with customers to identify key performance characteristics and succinctly communicate requirements back to the organization
● Lead strategic planning efforts to support technical validation with key customers from conception through commercialization
● Use CRM platform to document communications, manage pipeline, capture business opportunities and manage customer projects from inception to implementation
The ideal candidate will have a business and agriculture background. The right person will have a demonstrated ability to build and convey compelling value propositions and work cross-functionally.
● Experience leading strategic Go-To-Market activities for new product/solutions
● 5+ years experience in Market / Business Development in a related field (plastics, chemicals, agriculture)
● Exceptional written and oral communication skills as well as analytical, project management, research and planning abilities
● An understanding of plastics and/or agriculture and the ability to effectively communicate the value proposition to potential customers and stakeholders
● Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate specialty (preference for Chemistry, Materials Science, Life Science, Agriculture or Engineering), Advanced degree preferred
● Willingness and availability to travel overnight up to 25% to visit customers, suppliers and attend industry related events (post-Covid)
• Competitive salary, generous vacation policy and stock options
• 100% employer paid health and dental insurance benefits
• Access to a 401(k)
• Opportunity to work remotely on occasion
• Be an early employee at a cleantech start-up poised for incredible growth
It is the policy of Radical Plastics to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. As an equal opportunity employer, Radical Plastics is committed to a diverse workforce.